QuantiCode games • View topic - Menu Icon and desktop file + Debian package

QuantiCode games

Zero Ballistics, Full Metal Soccer

Skip to content

Menu Icon and desktop file + Debian package

Post any game related ideas or features you would like to see in the final version

Moderators: Michael, Bernhard, Christian

Menu Icon and desktop file + Debian package

Postby Guest on 10 Apr 2008, 02:55

How about adding a nice menu icon and desktop file? Then it would be easy to create a nice Debian package. Also fix the file permissions. Usally every file should have 644, like

find zb_beta_v10/ -type f -exec chmod -v 644 {} \;
chmod +x zb_beta_v10/tank.x86 zb_beta_v10/start_client.sh

Then the permissions are correct. Maybe also update the start script:

#!/bin/sh
cd "$(dirname $0)"
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=./shared_libs
./tank.x86

Then you can execute it anywhere. And when you did that you could easyly create a debian package. If you need assistance just ask.

Re: Menu Icon and desktop file + Debian package

Postby Christian on 10 Apr 2008, 10:07

Hi!

You are right of course - I will fix permissions and launcher for the next upload.
Concerning menu icon, desktop file and debian package: I will contact you directly.

regards
christian
Christian
Developer

Postby Christian on 10 Apr 2008, 10:15

Oh, you didn't register :-)

Guest wrote:How about adding a nice menu icon and desktop file? Then it would be easy to create a nice Debian package.

Yes, I can add that - we have a nice icon already. Could you send me an example for a desktop file with instructions?

regards
christian
Christian
Developer

Postby Kano on 10 Apr 2008, 15:26

Well the best examples are games from the same category. Like when you install nexuiz you get a nice one located in /usr/share/applications/nexuiz.desktop. To be fully correct you need in the package another menu entry for the Debian menu, therefore look at /usr/share/menu/nexuiz (with apt-get source nexuiz you find that in the debian folder named nexuiz.menu.

Also it is possible to package it correctly with external osg. If want to create a repository where you can always update the game you could even split data from main game. I already packaged an osg benchmark and you only need a backport for etch or gutsy - the same would do and for newer systems you don't need to add osg to your repository. This way other apps can reuse the libs and you don't need to provide em again (I dislike the LD_LIBRARY_PATH hack). To start you can easyly use something like:

#!/bin/sh
OSG_FILE_PATH=/usr/share/zero-ballistics-demo-data tank.x86 "$@"

This would work if no lib is outside the standard path. Even if you don't split it you can package it that way - data to /usr/share. Correct depends (these are done while compiling automatically) will load the needed external libs.
Kano

Postby Kano on 10 Apr 2008, 19:30

Sample for packaging the executeables - usually you package the source if possible. Did not use my name but QuantiCode <support@quanticode.com> - best fill in the missing fields and use debuild. Changed name to a more suiteable one.
Attachments

zero-ballistics-demo_1.0~beta-1.diff.gz
(1.27 KB) Downloaded 416 times
Kano

Postby Christian on 23 Apr 2008, 15:27

Hi!

The 1.1 version is available as .deb.
Please download it at http://www.mediafire.com/?xy21tkg35n5 and try it!

regards
christian
Christian
Developer

Postby Kano on 24 Apr 2008, 06:54

This should work for Ubuntu and Debian lenny (or sid) users. For etch the libc6 dependency is too new. Therefore I added it to the Kanotix repository (based on Debian etch currently) with lowered libc6 depends.
Kano

Return to Ideas