QuantiCode games

Zero Ballistics, Full Metal Soccer

Skip to content

New Unofficial Map Is Available For Download

Moderators: Michael, Bernhard, Christian

New Unofficial Map Is Available For Download

Postby Zero on 22 Jul 2008, 17:52

I have created a new map for Zero Ballistics.
I don't work for QuantiCode, I made this level with utilities I have created myself.
I have only a single pc with a good enough graphic card, so I couldn't test the map in an online match yet.

Download links:
http://www.mediafire.com/?nvvijyigtah
http://rapidshare.com/files/131636913/zero.zip.html
Unzip and copy the folder "zero" into "data/levels".
This software is provided 'as-is', without any express or implied warranty. In no event will the authors be held liable for any damages arising from the use of this software.

Screenshot:
Please let me know whether it works or not. (This is just a test map, it may contain several glitches.)
Zero

Re: New Unofficial Map Is Available For Download

Postby Zero on 23 Jul 2008, 13:01

1) Do not rename the folder. (for example to dm_zero)
2) The folder zero should contain the level data.
(levels/zero/..data.. and not levels/zero/zero/..data..)
Zero

Postby Seeker on 23 Jul 2008, 14:19

I'll give this a whirl now.....
Seeker

Postby Seeker on 23 Jul 2008, 14:35

OK I don't know what tool you used to model the terrain but it's incredibly bumpy, and I love it!
It really does feel like your doing 50mph over rough country terrain which makes firing and aiming more difficult, realistic and a whole lot more interesting.... but I can see it annoying people a little....

This map is certainly excellent for more experienced players who are at the stage where they could shoot the penis off a passing fly :)

My only 2 criticisms is it's lack of "feeling", by this I mean it feels like your playing in some built arena and not a random place in the countyside.
And secondly it appears to have an issue with texture filtering (this may not be the cause I'm only guessing) where the terrain has this glowing ripple extending from the tank as you drive round although it does look cool lol.
Last edited by Seeker on 23 Jul 2008, 14:41, edited 1 time in total.
Seeker

Postby Seeker on 23 Jul 2008, 14:39

Last point. It really is far to large for even 8 players by my reckoning. I've now been driving round it for quite a while and stcill haven't been to every part of it.
Seeker

Postby Zero on 23 Jul 2008, 15:07

Thank you for the comments.
I don't know why the map is so bumpy, the terrain looks pretty smooth. Maybe I have messed up some material properties used by the physics engine. Maybe one of the developers can gibe me a tip how to fix this. The map isn't that big, it should be smaller than dm_bridge.
I have noticed those strange light effects too... again, I don't know where they come from but you can try modifying the detail.png file; I think the deterrent channels (red,green,blue and alpha) are used to blend between different materials.
Zero

Postby Seeker on 23 Jul 2008, 15:23

If it was my choice I wouldnt change the fact it's bumpy. I find it a whole lot more fun and realistic :)
Strange if it is smaller than dm_Bridge as it feels huge :shock:
Seeker

Postby Michael on 23 Jul 2008, 16:34

Hi Zero,

great work!! Altough there seem to be some problems with the heightmap that has been generated and the texturing. How did you create it? What exactly did you write to the "terrain.hm" file?

Perhaps we can work out some way to get a simple level editor using existing tools, because our levels are currently created with "Grome" from Quad software, which is commercial software.

kind regards,
Michael.
Michael
Developer

Postby Zero on 23 Jul 2008, 17:03

I opened the .hm files in a hex editor and notice that it was a gz compressed file(magic number 1F8B). I decompressed the .hm files and opened them again in a hex editor and started guessing what the values mean:
Code: Select all
header:
int32 width
int32 height
flaot32 max_height
float32 min_height
float32 grid_size
data:
float32[width*height] height_map
(all little endian)

The I wrote a small c++ program that takes several images(height map, position of trees, start positions) and generates the height map file and the xml data. Then I compresses the height map with "gzip -n". For the height map image I used Bryce, EarthSculptor and gimp. So as you can see I don't have a real map editor... specially I had a hard time setting the materials by editing detail.png in gimp.
Zero

Postby Michael on 24 Jul 2008, 12:02

Zero wrote:The I wrote a small c++ program that takes several images(height map, position of trees, start positions) and generates the height map file and the xml data. Then I compresses the height map with "gzip -n". For the height map image I used Bryce, EarthSculptor and gimp. So as you can see I don't have a real map editor... specially I had a hard time setting the materials by editing detail.png in gimp.

Excellent work Zero! Are you familiar with EarthSculptor? I just took a look at it and it seems to me that it is able to export the lightmap and detailmap (one detail tex per channel) as we would need it. Perhaps you could write a plugin that exports the heightmap data as we would need it, then it would be possible for our community to create maps for ZB.

The object placement is still open then, perhaps we could work something out here.

kind regards.
Michael
Developer

Next

Return to Zero Ballistics - game related